For delegates on the full XML Summer School package, the 3-day or 2-day courses, we have included a number of social events in the evening so that people have time to relax and experience some of the delights Oxford has to offer.
The social events provide the ideal platform for networking with your fellow delegates or extracting information from the speakers on a one-to-one basis. Many past delegates will tell you that the networking and learning experiences outside the lecture room are as valuable as the teaching inside.
This year the events will include:
- Sunday 5th: A welcome reception in the historic Old Dining hall in the Front Quad at St Edmund Hall, starting at 7 pm
- Monday 6th: punting down the River Cherwell, followed by dinner at the college.
- Tuesday 7th: College dinner followed by a tour of some historic sites and a number of Oxford's historic public houses (a.k.a. a pub crawl). Before dinner, or instead of the pub crawl, we will also have a chance to join an informal walking tour led by members of Huxley Scientific Press. Alternatively, delegates may wish to visit the St Giles Fair, a yearly event held in St Giles. This year the fair is on Monday September 5 and Tuesday September 6.
- Wednesday 8th: A science walk around Oxford, followed by dinner at 7 pm. After dinner we will have room for unconference sessions, where Faculty members and delegates have the chance to discuss up-to-the-minute issues, or continue discussions from the day's sessions.
- Thursday 9th: Dress up for a more formal candlelit dinner at 7 pm.