For delegates on the full XML Summer School package, the 3-day or 2-day courses, we have included a number of social events in the evening so that people have time to relax and experience some of the delights Oxford has to offer.
The social events provide the ideal platform for networking with your fellow delegates or extracting information from the speakers on a one-to-one basis. Many past delegates will tell you that the networking and learning experiences outside the lecture room are as valuable as the teaching inside.
The college bar will be open in the evenings. Everyone is welcome to sit and chat, whether you enjoy a beer or don't drink alcohol at all.
This year the events include:
- Sunday 15th: A welcome reception in the historic Old Dining hall in the Front Quad at St Edmund Hall, starting at 7 pm.
- Monday 16th: punting down the River Cherwell, followed by dinner at the college.
- Tuesday 17th: College dinner followed by a tour of some historic sites and a number of Oxford's historic public houses (a.k.a. a pub crawl). As for the college bar, there is no need to consume any alcohol on the pub crawl, or indeed to drink anything at all.
- Wednesday 18th: College dinner followed by unconference sessions, where Faculty members and delegates have the chance to discuss up-to-the-minute issues, or continue discussions from the day's sessions.
- Thursday 19th: Dress up for a formal candlelit dinner in the college at 7 pm. If you wish to bring a spouse or colleague who is not a delegate at the Summer School, we do have a limited number of dinner tickets available for purchase.